View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

How to truncate an excel string

Sponsor

Sponsor

How to truncate an excel string 
amoeba

Post How to truncate an excel string
Hi all, I thought I would share this handy little how to:

Recently I needed to edit approximately 2,000 lines in a CSV file in order to allow it to be imported into an ecommerce site. The situation was that a number of strings in the file were greater than the maximum 100 allowed by the ecommerce site.. obviously not practical to do them all individually.. so here's a nice little formula you can use:

- Select a blank cell immediately to the right of the string you want to truncate (insert a column if you need to or select a cell to the left and change 'LEFT' to 'RIGHT' in the formula below

- Enter this formula =LEFT(A1,6) (A1 is the cell of the string you wish to truncate, and 6 indicates truncate the string to six characters. Of course you can choose what number to truncate to as per your requirements)

- Copy and paste the formula into the spread-sheet as required

- If like me you need to then remove the additional column you added to carry out the task then you now need to simply copy all the truncated cells and 'Paste Special' 'Values' back to your original column to overwrite the strings that were too long

- Delete the temporary column and voila! Save your spread-sheet.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Post Re: How to truncate an excel string
nice guide, thanks for sharing!

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]