View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

North Korea Missile Crisis

Sponsor

Sponsor

North Korea Missile Crisis 
Private

Post North Korea Missile Crisis
Hi all,

With the north korea missile crisis seeming to be coming into sharper focus now how do you all think it's going to work out? Seems like the US is dancing on the knife edge with the shows of strength and readiness in the region along with Thaad and the Chinese as well...

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm
n00b

Post Re: North Korea Missile Crisis
hi jubjub, its a tricky set of circumstances from what I can see. I think you first need to set the stage of the wider issues:

1) The US is the number one superpower, specifically militarily. But this status as the number one super power is going to be lost, as things are at the moment the US is going to be eclipsed by China, followed naturally as well by places such as Russia, India, possibly Europe (depending on many issues) etc. This is due to the US economy that is built now almost exclusively upon oil and the special status of the US dollar with it being the currency most goods are traded in.. however both these things have quite a short life now as a) Everybody knows that the advent of electric vehicles and the move away from US dollars as the currency of favour are going to have a MASSIVE negative impact on the US dollar b) The next 10 years or so is possibly/probably the last chance for the US to have the option of militarily attacking any other major world power with a hope of succeeding in cementing the US's position as top dog for a good number of years into the future.

2) I'll post again later lol

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:05 pm
n00b

back now, sorry about that

like I was saying 2) The US (and NATO) has been forcing the hand of other countries for some time, notably Russia and China. You might have heard all about the Russian countermeasures to sanctions, the Ukraine revolution and the expansion of NATO countries to the Russian Western boarder. You will probably also know all about the Chinese concerns regarding the US deployment of the THAAD anti-missile system. The problem with the US anti-missile defences is that post-cold war there has been the stable situation of 'mutually assured destruction' ie. If you fire a nuclear missile of missiles at me I can then also respond in kind thereby assuring that we will destroy each other, with the advent of the US anti-missile systems this is not longer the case, this means that where before it was perfectly okay to give your enemy advance warning of any nuclear strike (because you knew your missiles would hit their mark anyway) you can no longer do this, making the whole situation a LOT more precarious.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:29 pm
Private

so how do you think it'll work out? With the US taking out North Korea?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm
n00b

I'm not sure to be honest, I would say the most likely thing is that the US quietly de-escalates and tries to pressure China into making a move into occupying North Korea, perhaps in the guise of some kind of humanitarian effort due to a failed harvest in North Korea or some such.. in this way the US does not need to come away looking too weak as no doubt China would need to seek some kind of deal with South Korea in order to occupy North korea, it'll end up as some kind of regime change that kicks the final showdown between the US and China/Russia down the road a few years... that's IF both the US AND China/Russia can keep a level head... having said all that South Korea may actually decide enough is enough and re-ignite a hot war with north Korea with a pre-emptive strike of their own... .. time will tell. But to address one thing, I think it's true to say that it's less a missile crisis and more an anti-missile system crisis

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:18 pm
grunt

Looking at the US policy towards Russia, Iran and Europe/NATO (not the trade partnership fell through) and the world in general it looks like the US is very much the war monger right now.. we're on the brink. :cry:

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:20 pm
n00b

you could be right Meestro.. sadly.. time will tell

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]