View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Welded crankcase is it safe.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Welded crankcase is it safe. 
amoeba

Post Welded crankcase is it safe.
Im in the process of getting my engine rebuilt due to the engine throwing a rod. After purchasing a crankshaft and carrier the seller chucked in a pair of crank cases. The one side of the crankcase had a small welded repair the size of a ten pence piece. The other side of the repair is a oil gully. Ive spoken to a few places that said that crank cases can be welded such as hartech and twg porsche. Other places said they cant. Has anyone heard of this being done or knows of any places that could check it or possibly reweld? Or is a new crankcase the only option.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:10 am
lesser known shrew

Post Re: Welded crankcase is it safe.
It all depends on how well the crankcase welding is done.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 pm
amoeba

Post Re: Welded crankcase is it safe.
If the welding is done well, you don't have to worry. Especially if, as you say, the damage is minor. But I am very picky about the quality of such work to redo the weld spot personally. You can take a small piece of metal similar to what your crankcase is made of and weld it on, pre-treating the surface with acetone. Then I would allay my fears. But if you have your garage, I suggest you get your welder. It is a thing that comes in handy in every home. I bought my welding machine here https://ratemywelder.com/lincoln-welder-reviews/. If you are looking for something, I advise you to pay attention.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]